- AJ Allen's lovely words...
- "A free-spirited beauty who is both self-deprecating and disarmingly unaffected. Highway Heart is the second album by Australian singer/songwriter, Bridie O‚ÄôBrien, and is a perfect introduction to her individual style of music and strong signature vocals.
London and Melbourne based Rude Bookings have sponsored Bridie‚Äôs first UK performance. She is on the main stage at GOGO Festival, London, on June 10th, where she will premiere tracks from the album. Full of passion, energy, drive and conviction, Bridie is sure to set the stage alight with a range of introspective songs that reach out and grab you. A second gig on June 15th is soon to be announced." [Read More...]
- GIG REVIEW: Album Launch 19.1.11
- ...."The power of the two drummers lifted the whole thing off the stage over the next two pieces ‚Äď ‚ÄėLonely‚Äô and ‚ÄėDisco Lights‚Äô ‚Äď melding into a funky skin and wood machine of irresistible force. Then O‚ÄôBrien took it to a ‚Äėdifferent level‚Äô ‚Äď clearing the stage and working through the title track, ‚ÄėHighway Heart‚Äô with only her guitar and the plaintive cello of Kate Adams beneath her voice. It was a good move and had a stunning effect ‚Äď her remarkable voice framed by only the barest structure."...... [Read More...]
- Highway Heart REVIEW
- ‚ÄúRoots, Blues and Rock n Roll songwriter Bridie O‚ÄôBrien ‚Äď for years now a bighearted fixture at festivals and rock venues around Australia ‚Äď built her new album, Highway Heart with just two people. Recorded with polymath producer Syd Green at his Sanctuary Point studio, Mononest, O‚ÄôBrien plays everything (guitars, lap steel and piano) but bass and drums which Green provides. It is testament to her talent (too weak a word for something this soulful) that Bridie O‚ÄôBrien can howl 'Rock n Roll Outlaw‚Äô and a few songs later sweetly croon her own ‚ÄėCountry Song‚Äô ‚Äď In a genre that grows creatively narrower and narrower in a mistaken crusade for ‚Äėhonesty‚Äô and ‚Äėrealness‚Äô, Highway Heart captures them both and finds time for musical adventure and daring originality. God bless the non-purists‚Ä¶‚ÄĚ ~John Hardaker